Week 1 - Two Cultures

In CP Snow’s The Two Cultures; and A Second Look, Snow presents two statements that he believes should hold equal importance: "I know what the Second Law of Thermodynamics is" and "I have read a play of Shakespeare’s”. Although I understand his point of view, I believe that Art and Science cannot shouldn’t exist completely together to form one culture. To achieve the ideal “Third Culture” that Victoria Vesna refers to in her work titled Toward a Third Culture: Being in Between, Art and Science must instead live alongside one an another in a mutually beneficial relationship.




This idea draws striking similarities to our current polarized political landscape. I am truly a centrist; believing in right wing fiscal policies and left wing social policies. I believe that my political views are similar to Vesna’s “Third Culture”. With the election of President Trump and the subsequent backlash from the left, it only reinforces the idea of two separated cultures. Just as our education system separates the two cultures of Art and Science, our political system is divided into a two party system. Art and science can’t completely combined into one culture, just like the far left and the far right can’t be combined. Yet, if the right and left could find a way to live together in some sort of mutually beneficial relationship that would foster a society that would include ideas from both sides. A “Third Culture” consisting of elements of both parties could exist for the betterment of our nation. I believe the same is true with art and science. Somewhere in middle lies a “Third Culture” that I believe is attainable. John Brockman however, believes that the “Third Culture” Snow had predicted has not happened because modern Scientists are the “third culture” and there is no need to try to establish communication between Scientists and literary intellectuals. 










CP Snow blames the flaws of our education system on the clash of science and the arts in his lecture titled The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. Sir Ken Robinson blames the fault in our education system on the shift away from Divergent Thinking which he believes is the “essential capacity for thinking”. Personally, I agree with Sir Ken Robinson. As a child medicated with Ritalin from a young age so I would “calm down”, what our education system robbed me of was the ability to develop my mind in a way that fit me. Instead of sedating me so that I would pay attention to boring subjects, I wish they would have given me a structure to learn what I found interesting. Even today, I find myself painfully grinding through GE’s I am forced to take.




Sources:
Snow, Charles Percy The Two Cultures: and A Second Look. Reading. New York: Cambridge UP, 1963. Print.

Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo 34.2 (2001): 121-25. Web. 

Robinson, Sir Ken. "Changing Education Paradigms." RSAnimate. 8 John Adam Street, London. 16 June 2008. Lecture. 

"John Brockman: Matchmaking with Science and Art." Interview by DUNCAN GRAHAM-ROWE. Wired. N.p., 3 Feb. 2011. Web. 7 Apr. 2017.

Snow, C. P. "The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution." The Rede Lecture. New York. London: Cambridge UP, 1961. 1-58. Print.



Image Sources:

http://www.iagreetosee.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/political-spectrum.png
https://bettyhooper.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/ritalin2.jpg
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/160569/file-295195615-jpg/images/art__science_1.jpg



Comments

  1. Michael Mapes, it's great to meet you and have gotten a chance to see your perspective! I really liked the way you were able to synthesize the ideas of these key speakers as well as voicing your own opinions on the matter. I could really tell throughout the entire post that you had put a lot of thoughtful work and time into the words you chose to use. Ironically, I was diagnosed with ADHD, and have been taking medication since Freshman year of high school. I too feel the same way, as though our culture has snatched the chance of arriving at a certain amount of maturity. I can't wait to keep reading your posts throughout this course and get to know you in this distant medium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you duncan! Your name sounds familiar

      Delete
  2. I really appreciate the reality of this post. I think it's so true that an attempt to merge such polarizing ideas, both art and science and also full liberalism/conservatism, is an idea that may only be possible in utopian novels at best. I love though that you touched upon the idea of the two groups simply working together, which I think is what many students have posted about recently, especially engineers attempting to use a more artistic lens in designing things. My brother was heavily medicated as a child due to ADHD as well, but I think regardless of medication, the American school system robs all of us of the opportunity of pursuing things we find interesting in lieu of making sure "no child is left behind." However, as much as I generally dislike GEs as well, I do think they're important for exposing us to other topics and students on our campus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, I really value how honest you are in this post. Your comments on the polarization of the American political system is very relevant to the polarization of education. I have read a few other responses and most people did not tie this in like you did, very impressive. As fart as your take on GE's goes, I am a bit dissatisfied. I do not think GE's are so terrible as you make them out to be. Although they may not be easy and enjoyable for everyone, a lot of students need variety in their early college curriculum in order to discover their true interests and passion. I know I had no idea what I wanted to do in my first few years of college. I think many students have a similar sentiment when they begin college. Not everyone knows exactly what they want to do or what they are good at going into it, which establishes need and value for GE's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike, I love the truthfulness in your words. Most would see your blog as very debatable but I for the most part agree with the components you discussed. I agree with you on the aspect of the effects polarization has on politics today. I also agree that GE's are annoying and often feel like a waste of time due to the fact that you don't believe that they are helping contribute to your goal of receiving a degree in a specific field. But i do believe that the GE course assist in helping diversify peoples thoughts while allowing students to possibly open up to new things. I also agree with the fact that Trump is separating the right wing from the left wing dramatically. Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 7 BLOG

WEEK 8 Blog